Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Create-your-own?

Ever wish you could create your own products? Today my diaper bag zipper gave out. I think it was the 'last hurrah' because it's been slipping and unzipping for a few days and now it's not working at all. The sad thing is that I just bought this diaper bag about 3 weeks ago. And I had one before for a year that got nasty from having too many layers of baby crud wiped off of it so I replaced it with the SAME THING after searching for a new bag for a few weeks. Now the new one died.

I have a problem paying more than about $25-30 for a diaper bag. Seriously, it doesn't have to be stylish, doesn't have to have a name brand written on it, and by all means doesn't have to have baby print all over it... which seem to be the three things to run the price up. But there are a few things that I would really like for it to have.

So... here is my dream diaper bag...
Pockets on both ends with elastic tops- must hold a sippy cup WITH HANDLES inside the end easily and TWO bottles in the other end. I'd like a small pocket that's somewhat easy to access that I can shove receipts in at the store and KAD drawings into as I pick the kids up from their classrooms. I'd also like another pocket on the outside for MY things that I now carry in the diaper bag such as my cell phone, credit card, ID, and car keys. I'd like some thin pockets against the walls of the inside so the diapers can stay to the side. I prefer two of these since the kids are in 2 different size diapers. Then a small zipper area inside that can hold the tylenol, diaper cream, a tiny first aid kid, and hand sanitizer. In the big open space in the middle I'd like enough room for the wipes container, two formula 'travel' containers (the kids are on different formulas), a water bottle, bibs, a 'universal onesie' (I don't want to haul 3 sets of clothes!), two glasses cases, and a small gatorade or sipper cup for Kristopher. Oh, and either inside or an outside pocket needs to be able to hold some babyfood jars too.

Not SO much to ask for, is it? After all, this pretty much describes my messenger-style bag that was $15 at Wal-Mart! It fit everything for 3 kids in diapers, 2 kids with bottles, 1 with a sippy cup, 1 picky toddler eater that I always kept food around for, and a mom whose purse often gets emptied into the outside pocket of the diaper bag. But now the zipper broke. Do I spend the $15 on another of the SAME thing and hope it was just that bag... or do I again go on a hunt for a diaper bag that will meet all those criteria??

What kid-devices would you like to 'remodel' to meet your family's needs?

I have other thoughts on a rubbermaid container that fits folding outdoor chairs, my magical dream stroller's features, and other useless-except-to-me products :)

14 comments:

  1. You bought it at Wal-Mart? They might let you exchange it for another (especially if you have the receipt) since you only bought it 3 weeks ago. Surely it should last longer than that, and Wal-Mart is usually pretty good about returns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would take it back to WalMart and let them know it's not that old and ask for an exchange. They are usually pretty good even if you don't have the receipt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog... but seriously think outside the box on this one... Durable + washable + has the side pockets that you want... Wal-Mart has a fabric fishing tackle bag that we use and it works perfectly. AND we have 2 in diapers! (I'll take a picture if you like)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have three really nice PUMA bags...That is what I always used for diaper bags/purse combos...i have different styles, but all of them would work for what you described holding,pockets etc...if you want one...let me know it is totally free and I will send it to you,ASAP! They have patterns that are predominately male, but they are great BAGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Want me to get my hubby to make you one?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Etsy.com might have something. All the products are handmade/homemade so they're about guaranteed to be quality. They also have a section called "alchemy" where you can post what you are looking for, including specs, and people will bid to do the project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister in law got a diaper bag from LL Bean she loves. It has lasted a long time. Maybe you could pick one up on ebay.

    For myself, I always used a back pack. I would never use anything else. I loved my back pack because I could put it on my back or sling it over my shoulder, and still have my arms free to carry the baby.

    When I adopted I got stuck in Kathmandu for three months. The backpack easily slid into planes, trains, hotel rooms, motorcycles, and cabs. I could hang it over the stroller too. It had a zipped section for paper work, and a zipped section I filled with baby stuff. I kept extra zip lock bags in a few sizes in it for food and diapers. I kept bottles in the water bottle slot on the side.

    I also got a small combo lock for the zipped pocket I kept my money, camera and passports in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No babies in my house atm, but I do wish someone would invent a lady's handbag that would light up inside when it's opened, so I wouldn't have to scrabble around trying to find my cell phone, pen, checkbook, etc.

    Not a bad idea for a diaper bag, either, I suppose!

    Susan in Ky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Landsend has an awesome diaper bag. I had one and used it for 2 kids for 3+years on a daily basis. I think its ~$30 it opens up like a doctor bag so its easy to find everything in it...
    lots of pockets to tuck things in...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use a back pack diaper bag from the GAP. I have used if for over four years! Seriously! It shows no signs of wear and can be washed. You know how many little ones I have and I am down to only one in diapers (at least for the next six months!), but have had two in diapers for quite some time. As the other backpacker said, it is great to throw it on you back so you can hold other little hands, and push a stroller or cart. I don't think it's pretty because it's just plain black, but it certainly gets the job done. As much as I would love to have a trendy bag, I can't part with my backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the Lands End bag! I had 3 of these in different sizes. I purchased them used off of ebay. They looked brand new. I used them for 3 years through 2 kids. I just washed them this past weekend and took them to the consignment store. They still looked brand new after all of this use! The mid size one I used came with almost every feature you mentioned and is the one I used the most. Wish I knew you needed one before I sent mine to ocnsigment.

    If you don't want to buy these new---try ebay as I had great luck that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would exchange it.The best diaper bag i have found is by fisher price..I have 2 one is huge and is great for when we are away for a few days.The other i love as half is for diapers wipes and things and other side is a cooler.Keeps all Landens drinks cool.They are very durable and wash clean with wash cloth and soap.I gave 4.oo for one on a clearance sale and the other my cousin gave me and it looks brand new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. here in NZ/Australia we have oi oi bags http://www.oioi.com.au/ I got a second hand one from ebay and although I find it too big for everyday (I only have one preschooler) it has most of the things you're after and a choice of great fabrics - it can easily take every thing my son needs for a short hospital stay, including feeding tubes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First, you are an amazing family. I work in a residential facility for kids with disabilities in Illinois. Many times I forget that parents can have their disabled children at home, because my children at work have developed dangerous behaviors. But Illinois doesn't have much support to keep them home. Anyways, I am not a mom, but I love bags (it's an addiction) and and love ebags.com. People have reviewed the bags so you can see their pros and cons before buying. Also e-bay will get you an excellent back for $15. I don't have a lands end bag, but every thing I've ever bought from there has been quality and lasted long! Your children are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete