We figured out Plan B and I think it will work well. On Wednesday afternoon I will drive to St. Pete with Mom and the kids. We'll check in at a hotel for Mom and at the RMH. We'll unpack, set up beds for babies, etc. Mike will finish out his day at work and drive up in the evening. When he gets there Mom will go to the hotel in his car. Thursday morning she will come to the RMH to watch the kids while Emma has surgery. We know Emma will be in ICU and we really have no idea what to expect as far as her condition, so we'll plan on Mom staying into Friday just in case we both feel like we need to be at the hospital still. If Emma is released Friday (which is a slim chance) we will all go home. If not, Mom will take Mike's car and go home for the weekend. If she won't be released until Monday or later then Mom will come back over on Sunday so Mike can go back to work. He'll then have his car to drive home.
This is called- how few times can we make a 2.5hr drive and still have the kids together and the support we need to make that happen. It looks like this will give us the flexibility to stay however long we need to. Oh, and of course if Mike decides he needs to stay next week he will take off work. He is trying to save some of his leave for her open heart surgery, but we'll play that part by ear. With gas prices through the roof it is about $40 round trip to Tampa and back, so a little more to go all the way to St. Pete.
I feel a little like I did 5 months ago when leaving for Ukraine. We're leaving for an undesignated amount of time, it's going to be stressful, and we hope to come home with a child. The best part now is that our kids will all be together still and with us. No, wait, that's not the best part... The best part is that we know that this is God's plan and we don't have to predict the outcome. We just need to pray and lean on Him and He will make His will known and protect us all through it.