Sunday, July 13, 2008

The boundary

I've always said that my life is pretty much an open book. Questions about my kids, my life, disabilities, finances... none of that bothers me and especially answering the questions when it will be to the benefit of someone else... I really genuinely don't mind.

Tonight we went to Wal-Mart. Just the kids and I so Mike could work on his paper for school. Half way through our trip a man and lady- he was probably in his early 40's and she in her mid-30's- had a 1 yr old little boy with them and asked my kids' ages. I told them and the man looked at me and stumbled upon that BOUNDARY to the idea that my life is an open book.

Let's just say my response was "actually, two are adopted" and I walked away with the reddest face I've had in quite some time. I don't suppose my life is THAT much of an open book!!!!!

On the other hand, a nice older gentleman offerred to push my cart out to the car for me- I had a double stroller, K was walking, and Bria in the cart. I very much appreciated his offer and would have taken him up on it if Brianna wasn't being so anti-social and I thought she'd be nice about it LOL. People kept saying 'hi' and instead she'd look away and shake her haid 'no' all day. It's nice to know there's nice people out there though :) Especially after the last guy...

4 comments:

  1. You are MUCH nicer than me. I get irritated with the people who think that my life is their business!! I get so many rude questions. WHY would I adopt 5 kids? Why I would adopt HANDICAPPED kids, etc, etc!!

    Hang in there!!
    Blessings,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you did great. One time we were at the airport, with a bunch of our kids, and one of my daughters overheard a lady talking to her husband, wondering out loud about how we "had" so many handicapped kids and how we were pregnant with another one--- I wasn't pregnant just fluffy . My daughter was furious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I'm nice and pretty open when people are nice to me. But cross that boundary and watch out. Then again, I never think I handle it properly. I always wish I could do it better.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just chalk it up to ignorance. It is rediculous what some people think they have the "right" to say. It is not their life, but they think it is their business. If they only knew what a blessing our children are to us and our families.

    ReplyDelete