Monday, April 27, 2009

My van looks like this

024

and yet my OB says that having 5 kids must not be so bad because my BP was great today :)

Ok, so check out the face Micah is making... goodness, couldn't re-capture that goofball face if I tried!

All the kids are facing forward now... The youngest being Micah at 2 1/2 years and 27 lbs... I would have left him and Brianna, 3 years, 24 lbs, facing backward, but there was just no way to fit everyone in that way.  Backward facing seats behind the driver don't let Mike put the seat at a comfortable distance.  Both are well over the weight and age requirements for forward facing seats, though, so I'm confident that they are still safe :)

Kristopher is enjoying being in the third row- his first time back there!  He also begged to sit next to Brianna since he's had a turn by Micah and most recently by Emma in this van.  Of course the first thing they did was fight... but what are siblings for?

Today I had my 20 week OB appointment and all is well.  I should get a call in the next week-2 weeks scheduling my ultrasound with the perinatologist which will include a fetal echo just for good measure.  Baby's measuring right on, I'm back up to the weight I was at the beginning of the pregnancy, and things generally look good.

I brought my little visitor to the appointment today and he did great.  I brought in a stroller :)  He sat with me, played patty cake, and did HUGE high fives while we waited.  He wasn't so sure about the nurse taking my BP but he just covered his face then played with her a little later.  I haven't brought any of the kids with me to appointments except the ultrasound that the dr wasn't present for.  I don't know how many kids w/ Ds our doctor has contact with, but he was quite taken by my little visitor.  I told him, briefly, the little guy's story and some of what he'd endured in the early years of his life- much like my adopted children.  During the summer visits when the kids aren't in school I think I'll have them take turns coming to the dr with me so he can meet all of the crew.  I think it says something for a dr that's giving a prenatal diagnosis to KNOW some of the kids that have Ds and what a wide range of abilities they have as well.  You sure can't put all 3 of my kids in the same 'shoe box' of what Ds looks like!

8 comments:

  1. Love it! Especially Micah's face...thanks for sharing!

    Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this isn't too personal (and please ignore if it is), when you talk about that range, where do YOU see Emma? Do you think the neuro is right about autismm? Or do you think it is more institutionalization? Or both?

    I'm just curious, so hesitant to leave this. Sorry if it's over the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture! The classic "kids in the minivan" says it all! LOL! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your OB appointment went well and that your visitor is adjusting well.

    LOVE Micah's face in that picture, that is just hilarious!

    You've totally convinced me- we're definitely getting a 12 passenger! I think its gonna be the only way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha, that made me smile, what a clown and look at those chubby legs, I could just scoop him up and eat 'em! adorable!
    Amy O

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great pic, so cute. Micah is a real cutie what a face he's pulling, made me laugh and he suddenly looks much older !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so interested in hosting other peoples kids with Ds as a blessing to them of a mini-respits. After having our twins I realized that I love the decibel level in our home with four kids now. And I love the joy that Tommy brings to our life. He and I have a constant smile for each other.

    Your family embracing your new visitor brings inspiration to ours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the OB and the nurses meeting your children with Ds. I think that is a WONDERFUL idea! Their attitude towards prenatal dx just might change a few minds. At least I can pray that it might!!

    ReplyDelete