Friday, January 09, 2009

7:15, 8:35

At 7:15 I fell asleep on the couch while we let the kids finish the last 5 minutes of a movie we rented. Mike was sitting next to me which is why I'd been able to lay down, but he watched the kids and it was fine. I did get up and brush teeth and get medicine down and put some of the kids down, but by 8:35 I was in my bed and ready to go back to sleep!

I can't say I slept straight through a wonderful sleep- because I was awake at 12:30, 2:30, 6, and pretty much every few minutes from 6-7:30 when I finally decided it was time to really get up, but I still had 11 hours that I was not up and going! I definitely needed that!

I also wanted to respond here to the comment below about the kids facing backward after a specific length where their feet touch the back of the seat. Though it is VERY TRUE that a child can break their femurs if they can reach the back seat of the car during a crash, it is also true that in the same impact, a child of questionable weight and/or strength could break their neck if forward facing. So... when the question is whether a child is at a high risk to break their legs or to break their neck, the choice is easy for me! Micah's not tall enough yet for that to be a concern with his legs, and Brianna may be but is borderline on weight so she's much safer backward still. I know each parent needs to make this decision for themselves but wanted to reply to it so that the knowledge that facing each direction has its risks and benefits in the case of an accident. The most important thing is to know that your child is in an appropriate carseat for their size and that the carseat is properly installed in the vehicle!

No comments:

Post a Comment