Monday, January 19, 2009

I just got off the phone with the Department of Children and Families

and boy did we have a nice conversation! LOL It wasn't actually about me or my kids, which is always VERY much more appealing when talking with DCF :)

The worker has two caseloads dealing with citizenship from Eastern Europe and wanted to know some details about the citizenship of children adopted from Ukraine, post placement reports, and how to do a domestic adoption of a non-citizen.

The second one had me... If you have any info about these, please write me privately, I'd love to help this family!


  1. Hi Meredith-
    Do you mean like a re-adoption? Like - they are home, adoption was finalized in another country and they want to obtain a US birth certificate??

  2. Is it a disrupted adoption and they are now 'finalizing' it? I would suggest joining the International Adopt Florida group. I bet someone on there has had the same issue. Good luck.


  3. I think it has to do with what type of visa the child came in on. IR3 in free, IR4 do more.

    Some countries it is very straight forward that you are now the parent and the child is a citizen, but some countries are not so clear.

    And each state is a little different as to what it asks for.

    In my state my little girl had an IR3 and only needed a name change. I did not need a readopt and it would have been much more expensive. I think for a readopt you need a postplacement report that goes along with the readoption papers.

    As far as postplacements to the foreign country the US does not get into that. That is between the foreign country, the agency and you.