Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mic-key is out :)

Not the mouse (although he is close by) but the button.

Brianna has had a Mic-key button since she was 5 1/2 months old and at 26 months we have waved "goodbye"! This button is for tube feeding and after having her open heart surgery at 5 months old she continued to lose weight and wasn't feeding well. We had hoped that the heart surgery would up her strength and in turn her ability to stay awake to eat, but she still didn't thrive. Two weeks after her open heart a g-tube was placed which was replaced by the Mic-key button a few months later.

Bria went to the GI doctor while I was in Ukraine and he said we could take it out after we got home. He didn't want to remove it while we were gone and find that she had any feeding issues from the major changes that were about to occur at home. He said I could take it out on my own (it's just a water balloon holding it in which I deflated) when we were home. Well, after taking a good look at it and realizing how irritated it was I decided sooner was better than later.

Here's hoping that it closes up nicely and we don't have to make a trip to the GI doc for stitches this week :D

6 comments:

  1. Yay Brianna! Was that her talking in the video with Micah? If so, she talks very well!

    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astragalus would be great for you to take to keep yourself healthy. It is for the immune system and has worked wonders for me. Working with kids I always get sick...but not since starting it.

    I get it at Amazon, almost a year supply for myself for $15. I just take one at night and add one in the morning if I feel I'm getting sick.

    http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Shoppe-Astragalus-500-capsules/dp/B00012ND7Y/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1205345787&sr=8-3

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! Darah lost her button a few days before her second birthday. I can truly celebrate that joy with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo! What a great door to close as you open all these other doors! Yay!

    ReplyDelete