We had Emma's first ped appointment today and although I like the new doctor, I still miss Dr. Acevedo!! Dr. Vargus is a very nice woman who seems to be very soft spoken but also very thorough. I kindof feel like I intimidated her since I knew everything I wanted her to check and had a few requests on top of that :) Not to mention that my mom was with me and I had Micah there too. 4 against 1. We won :)
Kidding, of course. She is very gentle, kind, and seems to know her stuff so I am pleased to be going back to her next week with Micah.
As for the actual appointment, Emma weighed in at 18lbs, 10.25oz. No, she isn't losing weight. On Monday her cardiologist said she was 18lbs, 2oz. Our bathroom scale is not nearly as precise as the doc's scales are. Not only that, one scale to another may weigh several ounces differently. Anyway, she is 32.5" long which is the same as they measured Monday so I'm fairly certain that's accurate.
No real 'news' about her. I actually told the doctor more about Emma than she did me. I guess that's just how it is for the first trip in though.
We received referrals for a slew of specialists: opthalmologist, orthopedist, developmental pediatrician, ENT, and of course cardiology to continue as we've already set up.
We also got orders for blood tests for her. We considered waiting until pre-op in a few weeks and doing it all at once but when I brought up testing to see if her immunizations are up to date she said she wants to check on the tetanus before surgery is too close. So we'll go ahead and do the whole slew now. Thyroid, CBC, immunization checks, and maybe something else. I don't remember :). Bria's due for her thyroid screening too so both girls will get to visit the lab next week sometime.
The only thing I forgot to really get an answer about (although I did bring it up, just never got an answer :0) is whether Emma needs AAI screening done before surgery. I guess I'll either call back on Monday and ask them or if it'll wait until Friday I'll be back down there with Micah anyway. For those that are following and aren't familiar with AAI it is basically an instability of the upper vertebrae that is not a common thing in kids w/ Ds, but it is something that all of our kids are screened for. It is a very dangerous thing if left untreated as the instability could cause damage to the spinal cord. The solution is fusing the skull and C1 vertebrae and the C1 and C2 vertebrae together. The reason that I want it checked before surgery is because they fully extend the neck and head for intubation and this could cause damage if there is in fact AAI. Chances are pretty good that the actual doctors will have the same concerns and take care of it. The screening is a simple x-ray followed by an MRI or CT scan if there is anything questionable.
Anyone have any knowledge about whether AAI needs to be checked before surgery? I know most kids are screened at 3 so it's usually not an unknown issue at 5 yrs old. Hmm...