Thursday, March 06, 2008

In Flight

I know it has been a long time since we last posted. Sorry about leaving you all on the edge of your seats for the last week. Here is a quick synopsis of the last 5 days.

Monday: Meredith picked up Emma and Micah from the orphanage for good. From there they traveled to another town to pick up Emma's birth certificate and then to Donetsk (not sure it I spelled that right) to get the passports. That night Meredith arrived back in Kiev with her two new children, their birth certificates, and their passports.

Tuesday: Tuesday morning Meredith and the kids went to the doctors to have the medical papers signed. Although all went well at the doctors they didn't make it to the embassy in time to apply for the travel visas. In the afternoon Meredith's father, Bruce arrived and has since been a HUGE help.

Wednesday: Today Meredith went back to the embassy and was able to get the visas applied for and picked up the same day. During the time between visits they went back to Irina's to visit and pick up a few items that were left for them to pick up on their way through.

Thursday: Today is all about flying and hopefully (I haven't heard one way or the other) as I am typing this they are landing in Washington and getting ready to board their last flight home. If all goes as expected, the Cornish family will be reunited a little after midnight.

Throughout the week the kids have been great. Both are now eating very regularly and filling their share of diapers in the meantime. The change in diet and lack of "dietary medication" has left Micah with a sour tummy that has kept Meredith up at night. When I talked to her this morning she had just woken up from her only hour of sleep last night. She was hoping that this meant Micah would sleep a lot on the plane.

Please continue to pray for us as we begin the process of finding new routines around the house and our international travelers overcome their jetlag.

I'm sure Meredith will have a substantial post for you all soon.

In Christ,
Mike Cornish

16 comments:

  1. aww Mike, you must be SO excited. I know *I* am. Give them all hugs for me ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so looking forward to seeing the six of you all together. Hug Meredith twice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That will be so wonderful for everyone to FINALLY be home! I am so excited that this journey is over and you can get to be together.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is soo cool...I am so psyched to meet the rest of the Cornishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They made the connections in DC and are twenty minutes behind schedule but all is well. This grandmom is ready...Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yippie!! I'm sure you guys are MORE than ready to have your family all together!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so thrilled to know that they are finally getting to come home and you all can be united as a family! I'm sure Meredith is more than ready to be back home with ALL of her kiddos, too.

    Please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for them to get to come home!!! And thanks for the update. I've been wondering every day how the process was going. We're praying for a beautiful reunion and a smooth transition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that ya'll will finally all get to be together. It is hard to believe all that y'all have been through, but I'm so happy y'all are finally getting to start real life!

    Markay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike thank you so much for the update. It is 5 minutes before midnight and praying that the had a safe journey home. Good luck to you all as you are all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you wrote.."that night Meredith arrived in Kiev with her two new children"...tears just sprang up in my eyes. What an incredible journey you two have been on and what an incredible life the six of you will have together. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all home and I've held Emma and Micah Lucky me. Grandmommy Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Mike and Marjorie for the updates. We are so thrilled to hear... Meredith take as long as you need and when you are ready we'd love to hear and see more.

    William and Lucille

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying that everyone is now home and getting lots of rest. Can't wait to see pictures of your reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WELCOME HOME EVERYONE!!! Congrats again and many prayers of thanksgiving as well :)

    Hugs from us- Cathy, Dom and the gang

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome family! You guys are great! I'm so honored to know you. And, I'm so glad we were able to spend time together in Kiev. Let get together soon with all of our kids and watch the space shuttle blast off.

    John Urban

    ReplyDelete