Wednesday, October 14, 2009

October 14th- New day, new thought, new... issue...

Sometimes I feel like every day I could 'realize' another thing that I should take care of or think about or research or SOMETHING... Other days I feel like all is well in the world and I really shouldn't worry so much :)

And I'm not really a 'worrier' by nature. But I am a researcher. I want to do things the best way possible for my children and my family. I want to know what I can do to help them, I want to keep up with their therapies and their education, their social needs, their sensory needs, and I want to find out new ways to do it better. Ambitious, I know. And the follow through is where I'm lacking.

Because when it seems that every day there's 'another something', then it's hard to keep up with EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME. And then the ball gets dropped or intentionally set aside for a time until it's time to revisit it.

So today's "issue" is one that looking at Emma I just couldn't ignore. She is THIRTY THREE pounds! That's not SUPER heavy, but she has put on TWO POUNDS in the last 2 months! That's a lot!! And she's no longer skinny. She's stocky. She has round little arms, a thick torso and chubby cheeks. It's adorable! But it's not healthy. It's not a good trend for someone "predisposed for obesity due to that extra 21st chromosome."

What do we do about it?

She LOVES to eat and has NO idea what 'full' means. We already use portion control with her... but maybe not enough? When she's at home she's scooting all over, pulling up on things, cruising, exercising. But the change the last 2 months? School. She's now sitting all day in her wheelchair or other devices in school. She is down just a few minutes in that 6 hour period. Somehow we need to make up for her inactivity, whether in diet or in exercise.

HOW do you do this with a child that doesn't walk? She's already pretty active when we're home... as far as just general activity goes. We can do 'strength building' exercises with her, but how do you do simply 'management' exercise? I'd say "let's go for a walk" but she doesn't walk. Swimming isn't practical on a daily basis though I know that would be a good solution... and the weather's about to turn cool here too.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

How about portion control? Emma usually gets 1 4-oz container of a main dish, one of yogurt, one of a fruit, and sometimes a few crackers for lunch. She gets 2 drink boxes with 2/3 water and juice in them. Those are her school lunch. For breakfast she has a VERY small amount of cereal (like 8 honeycombs or something like that) here at the house with 1/2 cup of milk. At school she has some milk and cereal as well. She will be VERY unhappy to have to wait until school to eat since her siblings all eat here, but not eating at school isn't an option either. Dinner she gets a serving the same size as Kristopher's.

My other 3 kids all 'self regulate' their food intake for the most part... so maybe I just am allowing her too much food? I don't know!

There you have it- my thought for today. Tomorrow I'll be off to something new, but this one I cannot just ignore. I do NOT want to set Emma up for a life of obesity, especially since she isn't mobile and her daily care needs will be more difficult for her and us if we don't hit this issue early on.

22 comments:

  1. Small blow up bounce house. We have one we blow up in the basement and (wow)those kids never stop moving :-)It might be something to encourage her to move each evening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often notice our Tommy getting slightly heavier and then he has a heigth spurt. Although with Ds a heigth growth is very small ;) It sounds like her portions are great, I wouldn't have any other thoughts with that. And as far as excercise goes, more opportunity for scooting during school time such as free moments after circle time or during art/craft? I love catching up on your blog, always interesting and encouraging. You are a blessed momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thought Marian! But since she doesn't stand or jump... I'm not sure that she'd do much in it? I know the other 3 kids would love it tho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd go to the school...(IEP or whatever). Do they have PE? What does she get to do? Portion control is hard, too. How many calories is she supposed to be having? IF she's getting them and no more, then exercise seems to be the best bet. You can always cut back on juice and high sugar content but sounds like she's not 'over eating' but I'm not a nutritionist.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you thought if she is growing?
    That could be the answer.
    I like to follow your blog. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lily bounces on her rear end on our small indoor trampoline. It is great exercise for her. She also bounces outside on our big trampoline with the boys or the girls & Matt. Its great sensory input too! The trampoline we use inside is the Rebounder. It is much higher quality then the one we had before for the boys. http://www.healthbounce.com/default.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would cut out the juice if you're trying to reduce calories. That's my only suggestion--her portion sizes sound good to me but I'm not a nutritionist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to suggest a way to get in more activity at school. I'm sure she needs to be in her chaird for many activities, but do they have timnes for free play where they let her out?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure it's not much, but does she get out of her chair for PT at school? Also, is she doing modified PE where she is able to get out of her chair some. A lot of my schools do some type of Yoga with the students and they have modified exercises with para support for those in wheelchairs. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    My name is Linny and I read a comment you posted on my friend's blog. I just wanted to stop by and thank you for all you do for the kids thru Reece's Rainbow. Such treasures - thank you!!

    Blessings from Colorado,
    Linny

    ReplyDelete
  11. How tall is she? Her portions do not seem excessive. Darah won't gain weight and is eating a lot more than that...but she is also more physically active than Emma. I agree it sounds like she may be starting a growth spurt? I'd just pay close attention to the Ds weight percentile and make sure she doesn't cross two lines from her norm and try to sneak in some more activity for her....can she do ball therapy...actually, can YOU do any ball therapy activities post partum with them, yet?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charlie seemed to be gaining weight with the start of school, too. Not because he isn't mobile, but because they serve breakfast there (which we didn't know until last week) and they serve snacks. So, like you, we give him a very lite snack in the morning, like a small amount of milk and 1/3 of a banana. We also cut back on the amount of food we were sending in his lunch. In reality, Charlie's portions are very small. And like Emma, if we let him self regulate he would be eating way too much.

    I would address this in her IEP and ask that she be given more time out of her wheel chair, like a specific amount of time every day. And, I would switch from juice to water in her lunch. For such a small person small changes should be all that it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure if this has been mentioned alrady, because I haven't read all of the other comments. Just wanted to suggest getting a trampoline? We got one when Bene was around a year old. Got the net to "fence it" - and it worked miracles. I'm not sure if Emma's had AII ruled out, and I would definitely do that before letting her bounce around on a trampoline. The trampoline also worked wonders on body control, balance and strength! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can it not be added to her school needs that she be allowed more exercise? I realise she isn't walking but can't she have a few breaks in the day where she does the strengthening exercises you do at home? Seems to me that typical kids have a time during the day for play and exercise and so should she. Or, am I completely wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think her portions sound ok, but it would also depend on what she's eating. Like chicken nuggest vs. a real piece of chicken breast. And watch the yogurts too...there's alot of fat and sugar in them, especially the kids ones. My DH has been drinking alot of the drinkable yogurts lately, and the kids love them. I only give them one as a rare treat, (or I will only give them a certain kind) because there is more sugar in them than in a can of coke....and they are alot smaller!

    I am really conscious of what Kaia eats. She used to eat anything and everything, and have that "not ever full" issue, but in the last year she has become pretty picky and will now only eat what she feels like eating and leaves the rest. But I still really watch what I feed her.

    Another thought would be her thyroid...that could be out of whack too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Possibly adoption is the issue? Children who spend significant time in an orphanage or a large foster home connect food with adult interaction and mistake that for love. The only time some kids get attention is at feeding times. This may explain the lack of a full feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i would get the fat free yogurt and skim milk. she really needs the juice so there will be no constipation. also she might just be a heavier frame you and your children are on the small frame size and even her arm and hand bones seem larger than your others. i do know milk and yogurt has a lot of hidden calories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am guessing maybe if you change some of her foods a little. Yogurt and juice (even watered down) can have lots of calories. Try low fat yogurts or skim milk. And if you can try whole foods such as chicken instead of a breaded chicken, etc. I hope this helps. Also, can the school incorporate some sort of PE with her so she's moving?

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have one at school too. I have several kiddos who do not stand but they sure know how to bounce and roll around in it. i bought it for school after bringing ours in from home and finding out that they all loved it. Our PT and OT love it for all the vestibular input it provides. I love it because of all the giggles it brings :-)Some of my kids will ask for the bounce house when they want to do nothing else by request.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just something to think about but my kids seem to go in spurts.....they'll gain weight, then they stretch up. Maybe she's going through her growth spurt and will be stretching up :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anah and Jonathan don't have off switches either. The kids seem to go in spurts of gaining weight or growing taller. If they appear to be getting wider rather than taller, I decrease the juice, water it down more and offer more water. Skim milk, low fat yogurt and a mini trampoline are all things I do as well. Activity at school, or even if she can just stand more, will use more calories than sitting. I also think her portions sound fine.

    Anah has really filled out too, but she isn't heavy, just healthier. Now that Emma's heart is fixed as well, she'll burn less calories. How is she on the DS growth chart for height and weight? That might also be another guide to use. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Her portion sizes sound fine to me. I wouldn't cut back her food intake. It never hurts to move more, though. I know that's a challenge since Emma isn't that mobile but maybe her therapists will have some suggestions.

    ReplyDelete