Tuesday, June 01, 2010

It's only 8:30??

It's 8:30 am and last night-- we SLEPT! FINALLY!

Lynae, for about a month now, hasn't been sleeping really well. She never has gotten off of the every 3-5 hours nursing at night, which isn't the end of the world, but the last 3 nights she was up about every hour all night long needing to be comforted to get back to sleep. She's in the "stand up but not sit down" mode at the moment, so she crawls to the side of the crib and stands up and screams until I lay her back down.

Last night I was pretty sure she'd be up all night but at some point you just give up on having a full night's sleep and figure you're happy the child is sleeping at all... maybe then she won't be overtired and crabby when she's awake at 2am and instead just awake to be awake. Doesn't help that she's had on again off again low grade fevers from Saturday night until Monday. No idea what from, possibly cutting some teeth as oragel seemed to help somewhat.

Anyway, last night she fell asleep at about 6:15 and slept pretty much straight through until 9:45. Of course... that's when I was getting ready to go to bed. But she was up for about an hour then went back to sleep and slept until... 4AM! :) YAY! Then she nursed and went back to sleep until 6:30. WHEW, what a good feeling to have slept some last night! Yes, if you add it up it was only from 11pm-4, then 4:30-5:45 (because *I* had to get up even if she didn't...). But that's MUCH more sleep than I've gotten the last few nights so I'll take what I can get. Either way there are lots of little people here depending on me for their care and playtime in the morning so I have to be ready to go :).

Emma started summer school today, ESY technically. I'd never heard back from the department of transportation about her bussing. Not sure if I posted about it before, but I was originally told she couldn't be bussed because she is on a McKay scholarship during the school year. The McKay allows her to attend the school she is at with all 4 other kids even though there is one other 'closer' school that she could go to (but that doesn't also have a preschool). So... since we are 4.1 miles from her school, and the McKay will only bus her if she's up to 4 miles from the school... they were having issues.

I get that- for the school year. But her school is the ONLY school hosting summer school. If Emma attended the 'closer' school during the school year, she WOULD be being bussed to her current school for summer school. They eventually gave in :)

Then I got a call from transportation saying that they couldn't come down our street, and can I get her to the closest cross street... almost 1/2 mile away. Our street is a dead end with both a cul-de-sac and a 't' that the bus could easily turn around in. I lived in this house as a child and was bussed from 2 doors down most of my school years. The bus would be fine! I let them know that and she hung up saying that she and her supervisor would be getting in a car to drive down here and 'see' if it would work and they'd get back to me.

I never heard back.

I also got a 'bus form' returned to me- a photocopy of it- on the last day of school. So I looked it over- and there was NO bus number, no stop location, no anything filled out!

So this morning I had Lynae up and dressed and in the carseat, Emma on my hip, backpack on my back and her sack of diapers and wipes in a sack, and I was ready to walk out the door to drive Emma to school when... the bus pulled up! So, apparently the bus is coming to our front door. Good of them to tell me? Oh well... There was really no way that I could take the 'wait and see' approach and then find out the bus wasn't coming and have to load up all 6 kids at that point because Mike was going to be leaving for work, and drive them all to the school and unload them all because they wouldn't be expecting us by car and coming out to meet me to get her... It just wasn't an option!

Nor was walking 1/2 a mile down the road at 6:45 with 6 kids every morning, or at 1:30 in the afternoon (the middle of nap time and of the predictable summertime rains).

So... they're bussing her from the house. And I'm very glad about that!

It's sure to be a productive day today if it's only 8:30 and we've already gotten a lot done!! :) It helps to have slept! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's a good thing you saw that bus coming before you left for the school or else they would have thought perhaps you didn't want bussing after all and stopped coming.

    I'm so behind on your blog these days...must go read now... :-)

    ReplyDelete