Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Purple Tongue

Yes, it's from Gentian Violet because Lynae has thrush. So far it worked pretty good but not all the way gone and I left it off a day and now it's coming back more, so we're back to purple a few more days.

Unfortunately, when she gets a little around her lips and on her sweet pink lips... she then looks... blue in the mouth. AKA: dead. Not a good look I don't think. I hope it's all better soon!!!!

And thanks for the tip about the grapefruit seed extract! I hope there's never a need for me to use anything more than the little bottle of purple stuff that we already have, but if there is then that is what I'll try.

I worked HARD for this little bottle though. You have no idea...

On Friday we brought Micah and Brianna to my parents' house and then went to the school. Mike and I checked in at the office and Emma and Kristopher went off to their classes then we waited for Kristopher's 1st 9 weeks award ceremony. He got an award for "Outstanding performance", which is an alternate to the perfect attendance since the Swine Flu allowed for an absence or two I think.

After the ceremony I picked up the little ones and dropped Mike off so he could go to work then went to GNC to see about getting some Gentian Violet. I drove by the window looking for their hours. None posted. It was already 9:30, the light was on, and there was a man at the counter at the back of the store, so I figured it must be open. I didn't have any strollers with me, so I ventured out with two 3 yr olds and an infant carrier and my purse across the parking lot to the store. (this was the beginning of my thoughts of wanting the monkey!) I got to the door, and it was... locked. Yes, they don't have hours posted but they don't open until 10am.

We went home.

I then called Wal-Mart to see if they had it. Nice pharmacist answered the phone. Said they have to special order it. Then said no, it's on the herbal aisle. Then she hung up. Before I could ask if it was in stock.

Mike's mom came over after lunch and kept M and B so I could go back up to the school and meet Mike for Emma's award ceremony. Emma got a teacher's choice award for the most improved in the lunch room :) She is now completely feeding herself with a spoon and fork for most meals!!

On our way home from school I stopped at Wal-Mart, put Emma in the cart seat, Lynae's carrier in the basket and Kristopher walked and in we went. We walked the aisles of the store. Twice. Then we found a helpful pharmacy worker. She told us she was 99% sure it wasn't stocked and had to be special ordered. She checked the computer and said she could order it for a few days out. Sure enough not in stock.

*sigh*

I went back out to the car and called my house then asked Mike's mom to look on the medicine bottles on the counter so I could call Walgreens. As I loaded the car back up I dialed then listened to the answering service:

"Thank you for calling Walgreens, Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with... I'm sorry. I didn't understand you. Let's try again... Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with... I'm sorry. I didn't understand you. Let's try again... Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with..."

Seriously.

I hate voice-prompt menus!! They always think I'm talking to THEM just because the person walking by made a noise or I closed a car door or... whatever! I dislike the system and it doesn't WORK!

Finally I hear "Let me find a representative to help you." FINALLY!

Then she puts me on hold. One minute. Two minutes. Three minutes.

And I hear.... "Thank you for calling Walgreens. Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with... I'm sorry. I didn't understand you. Let's try again... Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with... I'm sorry. I didn't understand you. Let's try again... Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with..."

Then I got a representative again. The same one. She said "just a minute." I went on hold again. One minute. Two minutes. Three minutes.

And I hear.... "Thank you for calling Walgreens. Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with... I'm sorry. I didn't understand you. Let's try again... Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with... I'm sorry. I didn't understand you. Let's try again... Main Menu: If you'd like to speak with..."

OH MY! The third time I spoke with the lady she answered the phone apparently knowing it would be me.

And guess what? They don't have it either.

I decided to try again at GNC. Three kids and I truck on in only to find out that they don't carry it either.

We went home. Then as a last resort I called CVS. Not only did they answer the phone when I called, not repeat the menu 3x to me, and didn't keep putting me on hold, they HAD ONE BOTTLE!

Mike's mom offered to go get it for me so I didn't have to haul the kids around again. That was MUCH appreciated.

So you see, I worked HARD for this little bottle of purple liquid. And we will be using it as long as it is working!!! :)

5 comments:

  1. you might want to try some topical nystatin or lotrimin for you as well to keep from passing it back and forth with BFing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, here is the instructions from Dr. Jay Gordon for how to use Grapefruit Seed Extract.

    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

    You can use it for SO many things. The important thing to remember is to be sure you have the normal grapfruit seed extract when measuring it. There is also a version that is stronger that you use 1/3 less but it costs more. Most health shops carry the normal one.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word---how in the world do you do it? What an insanely crazy day! Praying your angel baby gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had known sooner. There are two health food stores in town. Did you try them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I just had to comment on your Walgreens experience, that ALWAYS happens to us. Every time I call in a refill " Please say --I'm sorry, I didn't understand you" (every. single. time.) I usually end up screaming "I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING!!" and then the emotionally neutral voiced automated lady says "I'm sorry, let me see if I can find someone to help you." lol, yes you do that.

    ReplyDelete