Saturday, March 14, 2009

Strangers Unaware

Just a few minutes ago we were outside and it was just starting to sprinkle. I picked up Emma and walked down to get the mail from the mail carrier as he approached the house and then we were headed back inside. When I got my mail, the mailman said to me "Oh, the Cornishes. Didn't you adopt those two kids?" I was a bit surprised, but we do live in a somewhat small town... "Yes, this is Emma, they've been home with us for a year now." His response surprised me though... "That's just great. My wife was following your blog and I used to deliver for you over on Kansas street (our previous house about 2 years ago). You guys are great. God Bless You." After a quick thank you from me he was on his way, back on his route delivering mail.

Sometimes in 'blog land' the world of Internet and world-wide connections with people who we really don't know it's very surprising to find that someone in our own city has followed along. When I visited the pre-k teacher that my little ones may have next year she said she knew of us from the newspaper article that was written. That was the response of the lady we bought Girl Scout cookies from in front of Wal-Mart as well. They see those three little faces with the features of Down syndrome and I guess in a smaller town it's not so hard to place us. But when someone has continued to follow along after the 'adventure' of the overseas adoption- or outside of the public view of 3 columns in the newspaper- it always surprises me.

I don't know if histhe mail carrier's wife still follows, but if you're out there, thank you! Your husband's words blessed us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment