Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Our Christmas Miracle!

(See below for the Christmas reference :) ).

This morning I got a call from a VERY sweet woman in a position to make decisions... and she APPROVED US FOR COVERAGE FOR EMMA'S CONTINUED THERAPY!

Yes, this is our Chirstmas Miracle for our little Ukrainian girl (and yes, she's still Ukrainian not just by heritage but by citizenship too as Ukraine recognizes a dual citizenship until the age of 18-- at which time she can "choose" her citizenship... but that's not what we're talking about here is it? LOL)

Now... we continue to pray for a grant that I applied for which would fund a 3 week INTENSIVE therapy program for Emma which is supposed to accomplish what would typically be established over the course of a YEAR! What a gift this would be for our big girl, she has SO MUCH potential, but finances are holding us back as it is $4500 for this 3 week course.

In other news, Emma scared me really good by shoving too much food in her mouth and choking. I reached in and got what was visible, but she was still uncomfortable and not breathing quite right. I tried to give her a drink, no go. She was breathing, but obviously not RIGHT. I turned her upside down and hit her back a few times (infant Heimlich) and nothing... I put her back down, not sure she was REALLY choking... maybe just upset that she had? But I tried again... HARD. SOMETHING was wrong...

Sure enough, out comes a wad of bread almost the size of a golf ball. THAT wasn't in her mouth! YIKES! Though she wasn't interested in finishing lunch (understandably), she did sit with me a while and about gas me out (swallowed a good bit of air I'm guessing) and eventually decided she loves me again and snuggled with me a minute... then drank a bottle of milk.

I know she packs her mouth but I hadn't caught the first pieces going in that got lodged... I only noticed the bits she still had in her mouth. She hadn't choked before (not REALLY... tho we've had to stop her from packing her mouth already) and I guess we either have to STARE at her or give her only a bite or two at a time for now... SCARY!

13 comments:

  1. So happy about the therapy. Thank you God for keeping your hand on Emma. I know that was so scary for you Meredith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear this great news... and praise God for His watchful care. So many scary things can happen we don't even think about how we are protected sometimes, whew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEah for the therapy and hopefully you all will be able to work it out so that she can have the 3 week session, that would be wonderful. How scary about the choking...a great fear of mine too.

    By the way in your last post... what does the spider on the tree mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God she is OK. I had a scary moment one day in the car when my daughter chocked on a water bottle cap that I had not seen her put into her mouth. I know the terror you felt when you saw it come out. I had pulled over to the side of the road after hearing her choke and saw her pull out the bottle cap. Oh I'm careful now about those caps.
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy about the therapy for Emma! God is good to us! How scarey with the choking! I am glad she's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What awesome news about the therapy! Prayers that the grant comes through for the 3 week program. So thankful that little miss was ok after the gagging/choking scare...Dom has a really high palete (the top part of your mouth-know I didn't spell it right) that he can pack food in and it come out hours later...we have learned to look before letting him leave the table-especially on taco night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise God, Praise God! Firstly that Emma was ok with the choking, yikes, it IS sooo scary when they choke like that! And secondly, for her therapy! What a true Christmas miracle! Praying for the intensive therapy grant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for therapy! That is so wonderful!

    Scary about the choking. Charlie packs his mouth as well. Just today I looked over at him after feeding Calvin a couple bites, and thought to myself "where in the heck did that who quarter of sandwich go?" Boy, it is concerning, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow how scary. Choking is one of my fears. so glad you got it out ok! Yeah on the therapy being approved too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news! And scary choking episode! Does she seem to eat slower now? Glad our Heavenly Father was protecting your angel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes, choking is my biggest fear in the whole world since Aidan came along. He has given us a couple of scares.

    Congratulations on getting you therapy coverage worked out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's terrific about the therapy!

    PJ is a packer/stuffer, too! the only thing he's good about is cheerios or puffs, not sure why, but he'll stop after about 4 or 5 and chew and swallow, then start again, but regular food, we can only give him a bite or 2 at a time and we've had to dig in his throat and heimlich the poor thing before too. I guess it's somewhat common for our kids. I wish I knew the magic words to teach him not to do it.

    ReplyDelete